“The beauty of a woman must be seen from in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides.” Audrey Hepburn
You’re not fully dressed without mascara…or some other eyelash enhancing product! Here’s is a primer on accentuating your eyelashes for eyes that pop:
- MASCARA – There is no denying that a good mascara can make all the difference. I recently visited a Sephora store when I was shopping at the mall with my daughter. I must admit that I was totally and completely overwhelmed by the vast array of mascara selections (among other things!). Waterproof, regular wear, washable, length, fullness, fiber, etc.
- FALSE – These come in strips or individuals. Some already have glue at the base, others require a line of glue to be placed on the lids prior to application. Recently, I learned of magnetic eyelashes that sounded great. My daughter and I tried to use them and it was a disaster! The lashes got stuck to each other, we couldn’t separate them and they ended up dangling off the corner of our eyelids. It was great fun and we looked ridiculous, so we returned them for a refund.
- EXTENSIONS – These are really popular right now, and they look fabulous when done correctly. As long as you don’t have allergies or sensitivities, you should be fine with special occasion applications. They do require periodic fill-ins. Also, you must be extremely careful when cleansing off your eye makeup so that you don’t end up pulling out the extensions along with your own natural lashes.
- SERUMS – These advanced serums contain vitamins and peptides which work to strengthen and lengthen your existing eyelashes. They really work and yield amazing results! The key here is to use the product as directed…which typically means one/twice a day consistently for several weeks. Once your eyelashes respond, you can reduce usage to just a few times a week. Always read the manufacturer’s instructions for best results.
- LIFTING/PERMING – Remember back in the 80s woman when used to get their hair permed? (I was one of them!) Well, a lash lift is basically a perm for the eyelashes. A chemical is used to set the shape of your natural lashes so that they curl upward. Similar to the look that results when you use an eyelash curler.
- TINTING – Your natural eyelashes can be tinted a darker shade to make them stand out. Obviously, the lighter your hair color the more dramatic the change will look.
Although I don’t offer eyelash services, I can recommend several eyelash serums that are effective, high quality products. In my opinion, Rapidlash is the best and the one that I’ve had personal experience with. The runners up are: Grande Lash-MD serum and RevitaLash. (Stay away from Rodan & Fields Lash Boost as they are under investigation.)
Please share your personal experience (by commenting below) with any of the above eyelash services – whether good or bad – so that all readers can benefit. Thank you in advance!
Lori Weintraub is a licensed skin care therapist, holistic health coach and a hair removal expert. She offers consultations, exceptional products, results-driven treatments and hand-holding guidance to help women over 40 regain their youthful glow. Learn more here.