There is no such thing as “anti-aging.” This is a misleading term that is over used in the beauty industry.
Aging is a process…but we can slow it down. It is never too early to start taking proper care of your skin!
My “anti-aging” term = “restorative age-management.”
Over time, our tight plump skin begins to show sun spots, fine lines, wrinkles, laxity and uneven pigmentation. There are two types of skin aging that occur at the same time:
- Intrinsic skin aging – pertains to genetics, internal factors within the body, and the normal aging process associated with reduced estrogen production as women enter menopause
- Extrinsic skin aging – caused by environmental factors such as exposure to UV rays from the sun, as well as lifestyle habits, i.e. smoking, dehydration, excessive alcohol and sugar consumption
What can a woman do??
To begin with, getting back to basics is a good place to start. Simple adjustments to your skin care routine can make big improvements. Additionally, you should also be mindful of eating a healthy diet and finding quiet, time to relax and renew.
Double-cleansing is a great way to prepare your skin. By cleaning out impurities and irrigating the pores, serums and moisturizers will readily penetrate into the skin tissues to perform their benefits.
It is important to renew your commitment to prevention and protection. Each year our skin gets thinner and loses its ability to retain moisture. Daily sun protection (no matter the season) is imperative along with a good quality moisturizer for extra hydration.
Skin care through the ages:
- Twenties (protect and repair) – daily sunscreen, products containing vitamins A, C & E
- Thirties (exfoliate and regenerate) – gentle enzyme exfoliation, retinol-based serums or creams
- Forties and fifties (plump and nurture) – use a creamy or milky cleanser, add pigment-reducing ingredients such as kojic acid, licorice, mulberry, vitamin C or arbutin, add hyaluronic acid and vitamin A serums/products for extra hydration
- Sixties and beyond (hydrate and soothe) – in addition to the above, services such as microcurrent and LED light therapy will help to re-energize the skin cells thus improving muscle tone and suppleness.
I love helping clients to improve their skin so that they can age naturally, safely and beautifully! My personal skin care philosophy is built on a holistic approach that promotes healthy skin with non-invasive, age management treatments. Please feel free to contact me with your questions and your concerns.
Lori Weintraub is a licensed skin care therapist, holistic health coach and a hair removal expert. She offers consultations, exceptional products and hand-holding guidance to help women over 40 regain their youthful glow. Learn more here.